BREAST stands for Breastfeeding Rights, Education, Advocacy, Support Team. BREAST Roanoke is a 501c3 non-profit volunteer run organization established in the Roanoke Valley. The mission of BREAST Roanoke is to educate, advocate and support families in the Roanoke Valley along their breastfeeding journey. We aim to empower people across racial, ethnic, gender identity, lifestyle, and socioeconomic boundaries to create space for themselves and their children in their work and leisure lives so as to breastfeed their children as they see fit. We provide education and advocacy to families facing adversity and challenges to the breastfeeding relationship, along with education to businesses and the local community on breastfeeding barriers, evidence-based practice, and legislation.
To create a world that is accepting and encouraging of breastfeeding both socially and culturally where families will not have to choose between participating in society and feeding their child in a natural and healthy way.
- Educate the community on the numerous health benefits of breastfeeding, as well as barriers and legislation.
- Increase the duration of breastfeeding to meet or exceed AAP, WHO, and UNICEF guidelines.
- Increase the likelihood that people’s breastfeeding intentions are achieved across race/ethnicity, cultural background, demographic characteristics, and socioeconomic status.
- Increase community support and acceptance of breastfeeding.
- Increase the overall number of families breastfeeding regardless of age, race, culture, socioeconomic class, ethnicity, disability, gender, lifestyle, or family dynamic.
- Create a system of support for non-traditional breastfeeding dyads and methods.
- To educate and provide evidence-based research to health care providers in order to advance the breastfeeding-friendly model of health care delivery